Friday, June 02, 2006

A Glimpse of Jesus

On Memorial Day I had the blessing of meeting a man in whom Jesus is vividly visible. His name is Charles Harvey and he is an Irish missionary in Thailand who Andy met in January. We had the privilege of having him in town a few weeks before our team heads to his place in Thailand. He met and spoke with our Thailand team on Monday night and God's Spirit was palatable in his words, in his prayers, and in the way he interacted with us.

He stayed overnight in our home so I was able to spend a little one on one time with him as well as some time with just he and Andy (no kids, ie. Uninterrupted conversation!). I am not exaggerating when I say this: I feel like I have been with Jesus. He was so gracious, so generous in the things he said and the way he said them, so affirming, encouraging, and life-giving. I am more in love with Jesus after being with him. I feel compelled to spend more time with my Lord because of this glimpse I got of Him through this self-proclaimed ordinary Irish man.

I long to be like Charles - to be that intimate with Jesus, to bring that much glory to the Father, to have the constant Spirit-giving discernment and energy to minister to so many people. To say "yes" to something always requires that we say "no" to something else. So the question that naturally follows is: What am I willing to sacrifice, to say "no" to, in order to say "yes" to more of Jesus?

No comments: